9 March, 2021
My Cottage Pie Recipe
There’s nothing special about this cottage pie recipe, I’ve just hosted here because I made it the other day and it was delicious. I’d forgotten how delicious cottage pie is, so I have uploaded the recipe so I can find it when I’m looking for meal ideas. This is my own recipe (in that no one has ever taught me to cook cottage pie, so I came up with this), but it’s so simple that I’m certain it’s not unique.
What is the difference between cottage pie and shepherds pie? As a shepherd looks after sheep, a shepherds pie contains lamb, while a cottage pie contains other meats (mainly beef).
- Mince beef
- Gravy powder
- Wholegrain mustard
- Parmesan cheese
- Dice the potatoes and boil them until soft.
- While the potatoes are boiling, dice the carrots and cut the onions and tomatoes into small bits.
- When the potatoes are nearly cooked, cook the mince, onions and carrots in a frying pan with butter.
- Add a little of the starchy water from the potatoes to the mince mix and add the tomatoes to the mince mix, then sprinkle with gravy powder until the liquid isn’t so runny.
- Mash the potatoes and mix in cream, mustard and finally stir through finely grated Parmesan cheese.
- Add the mince mix to a cooking tray, then spread the mash on top and cook in the oven until the potatoes are dried / cooked, and not burned.