I’m super happy with my vegetarian donburi recipe, and it’s super quick and easy to make. There are many substitutions you can make with this recipe, but I’ll list what I did because everything worked perfectly together.
- Rice vinegar
- Leafy salad greens
- Aioli mayonnaise
- Spring onions
- Sesame salad dressing
- Firm tofu
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Cook the rice as per my Japanese Rice Salad recipe.
- Finely slice the tofu and cook in sesame oil. Turn down the heat and finish by adding mirin mixed with a splash of soy sauce (enough to change the colour to a light brown) and gently cook until the mix turns into a teriyaki sauce (is no longer liquid, and has become more syrupy)
- Cook the shiitake mushrooms in sesame oil (they take about as long as the tofu to cook)
- Finely grate the carrot
- Poach the eggs (you can use the traditional method, but I prefer my homemade poached egg molds)
- Serve as per the picture (or you can tidy it up a little by molding the rice in a bowl to make it a little more presentable)